Every Non resident who is required to file a return of income or intends to enter into an economic or financial transaction where quoting of PAN is mandatory must have a PAN.
Some Transactions in which quoting of PAN is mandatory are as follows:
1. Sale or purchase of a motor vehicle or vehicle other than two wheeled vehicles.
2. Opening of a demat account with a depository, participant, custodian of securities or any other person with SEBI
3. Payment of an amount exceeding Rs. 50,000 to a Mutual Fund for purchase of its units
5. Payment of an amount exceeding Rs. 50,000 to a company or an institution for acquiring debentures or bonds issued by it.
6. Deposits of cash exceeding Rs. 50,000 during any one day with a banking company or a co-operative bank.
7. Payment of an amount aggregating to more than Rs. 50,000 in a financial year as life insurance premium to an insurer etc